- This was my interview last year on this topic and I am putting it up as I had answered it. Hope you find it useful..........
Q . How would you define the Hair Rebonding?
Hair rebonding is a process where the chemical bonds in your hair are broken, rearranged and bonded back again permanently.
- Rebonding is a chemical hair treatment that makes your hair straight, sleek and shiny.
- It is a permanent and expensive procedure. Prices for the treatment may vary across salons due to products used, service, your hair type and post treatment care.
- Each type of hair has a natural bond. Curly or wavy, are the result of natural bonds that give the hair its physical quality.
- The cream softener or relaxant used in the rebonding treatment breaks the hair structure.
- Then a neutraliser bonds the structure again and makes hair straight.
- In simpler terms the rebonding treatment changes your natural hair structure and restructures it.
- Once your hair is straightened you have to touch up the new growth every three months, six months or a year, depending upon your growth.
The time taken to complete a rebonding treatment depends upon the length, type and thickness of your hair. Hair till mid back can take about 8 hours or more to be rebonded. A man's hair might need three hours.
Here's the step by step approach to rebonding.
1. Hair is washed with a mild shampoo. No conditioner is applied. Hair is dried completely with a blow dryer keeping it on the medium level.
2. Hair is separated into parts. The cream softener or relaxant is applied to every hair shaft, keeping it straight. A thin plastic board is used to keep hair straight.
3. Cream softener or relaxant is kept on hair for at least half an hour or depending upon the hair type. Keeping it for too long may even harm hair. After that hair is steamed for 10 to 40 minutes, depending upon hair type and condition, and then rinsed.
4. Hair is blow dried and then keratin lotion is applied.
5. A flat iron is used to straighten hair further and break any remaining curls. The iron should not exceed 180 degrees. A ceramic iron is better than other metal irons. The salon expert will iron your hair until it is satisfactorily straight and shiny.
6. Hair is again parted and a neutraliser is applied to set the bonds and stabilise the hair.
7. The neutraliser is kept for at least 30 minutes.
8. The neutraliser is rinsed off with cold water. Hair is blow dried and hair serum is applied. A last touch of ironing is given with the straightening iron. Hair appears silky straight and shiny.
- 9. A salon professional will restrict you from washing your hair for minimum three days. It allows the treatment to set. You will be asked not to clip your hair, tie a rubber band or wear any other accessories in your hair for minimum three days. Wearing a shower cap while having a bath is also advisable, to prevent hair from becoming wet.
Q. Why teenagers are mad/crazy about this new hair treatment?
Rebonding is the hottest new thing to hit the hair scene. With rebonding hair stays straight even after shampoo. Straight hair achieved through crimping disappears the minute you wash it. Rebonding also frees a person to colour, bleach or whatever, as early as a week after the process - unlike straight perms, which would have damaged your hair had you opted for any further process, like streaking.
Q. Explain the harmful after effects of hair rebonding beauty treatment.
- Any chemical process affects hair texture and quality.
- Excessive use of chemicals makes hair dry , weak and can even lead to hairfall
- Hair rebonding requires post treatment care otherwise it may turn harmful.
- If you are suffering from hairfall, you must avoid rebonding or any other chemical hair treatment.
- Cheap chemicals, inexperienced hair stylists and weak hair can make rebonding a bad experience.
- The process can also cause damage and burns to the skin and scalp. For example hair can be damaged if the various chemicals are left on the hair for too long, or if ironing is done with an iron at higher than 180ºc.
- Conventional methods of straightening hair use hair-straightening lotions, which result in dry, brittle, and split-ends prone hair.
- Hair rebonding can turn into a disaster if you do not take care of your hair.
- Hair will need extra pampering once it has been rebonded.
To fix this disaster :
- Get a hair cut done
- Approach the salon you got rebonding done from. Ask them to repair the damage
- Oil your hair regularly
- Use hair serums or leave-in conditioners
- Get deep conditioning done every fortnight
- Avoid any other chemical treatment for next six months
- Tie a bun
- Wear a scarf
Rebonded hair is susceptible to dryness and is brittle & requires costly maintanence and is irreversible. Think about it.
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER !!